Popular Post

antique inspiration











Since the 60s is probably my favorite time period for both fashion, music, film, and literature, I decided to post some 60s icons...
From Top:
Model Jean Shrimpton
Mrs Robinson
the imfamous icon, Twiggy
Wife of Eric Clapton Pattie Boyd
Andy Warhol and stone, Mick Jagger
Elvis and Pricilla
Jane Birkin
Nico of The Velvet Underground
The lovely songbird, Marianne Faithful

Today, I watched a film on three different poets that I was unfamiliar with called "Where The Soul Is": Lucille Clifton, W.S. Merwin, Robert Bly. It is basically just a series of interviews of the three and a couple of clips of various poetry readings. It was very inspiring for me and helped answer a lot of my questions about poetry and writing, Robert Bly was very spiritual and in tune with nature, his self, and presumably his soul. Lucille was extremely comical and had a confidence and spunky attitude and welcoming energy that I find very rare in most poets. I wouldn't label her a feminist per se (altough many would) but, she definatley speaks of society's shallow and unrealistic standards of beauty. Her poem, "poem to my uterus," was very funny. She is actually a professor at UCSC. Interesting, a new possibility for transfer options. My favorite of the three was, W.S. Merwin. He was so inteligent and the way he spoke of poetry made me much more at ease with my work. His poems are very story like and use simple diction, which works for his subject matter. His poems were very unexpectedly touching and dealt with human relationships. He explained the poetry is harder to write in modern day because of how language is distorted and vague due to the media and "professional liars" misuse. The best quote (of describing the appeal and passion that poetry creates was, "...when you hear a poem that speaks to you...you've heard it something you have always know...yet it's completely new."

"if you have to be sure...don;t write." -W.S. Merwin

Current Playlist

Yo La Tengo- today is the day
Leonard Cohen-chelsea hotel no. 2
Blonde Redhead-misery is a butterfly (brilliant and hauting lyrcis...beautiful)
M. Ward- post war
The Velvet Underground-sweet jane
Band of Horses-the funeral
bob dylan- like a rolling stone

These songs to me really reflect my nostalgic mood which, I feel has been induced by this wintery cold yet, sunny weather. It makes me feel reflective, more sensitive, and more in tune with both my senses and my emotion. It also of course, inspires me to write more frequently and I feel, better quality poetry.