Popular Post

Best and Worst of Ready to Wear collections Spring 2010




Alexander wang


BEST!
From New York's fashion week the lovely and feminine Jill Stuart. Known for her flirty, feminine and sexy mini dresses and flowing silk blouses, Jill Start was probably my favorite of shows for NYC. I always the romance and femininity that her collection exude and how even with the highest of hemlines, her dresses always exude both sex appeal AND innocence. This collection however, I am even more impressed and (safe to say) in love with her because of how she added these tough, almost motor cycle-like accessorise and touches while staying true to her baby doll-like vibe. I love all the lace detail, soft colors, and silky fabrics mixed with some bad ass black, leather, and big black booties, and best of all, exaggerated shoulders and more defined structures!


Worst!
Okay, everyone who knows me well, knows that Alexander Wang is probably my favorite new New York designer. I love his ubercool skater girl style combined with understated sex appeal. HIs collection for fall ready to wear 2009 is still my one of my favorite collections of all time and still inspires me for this fall as well. However, this collection to me is very dull and too carelessly styled. I love boots and knee high socks and the whole sexy nerd concept that he seemingly used for this collection. However, to me, it did not translate properly on the runway. Perhaps it was the dull, thrown together hair styles, or the grungy makeup that through me off. But this collection was not the best in my eyes.


BEST!
Chanel Chanel Chanel. it seems so overplayed and pretty much used and abused to the rest of the world who doesn't truly appreciate the superb designs of Karl Lagerfeld and totes around knock offs with the tacky quilted double c's. But, I must say I truly respect Karl's designs because it seems as though every collection remains fresh, modern, and young but yet, somehow managed to remain timeless, maintaining the lady-like consistency of Coco Chanel's early designs. The chanel staples: tweed blazer, tights, sexy shoes, shift dress, etc. are always beautifully Incorporated in every show with a new twist to them keeping the line fresh, sexy, and best of all appealing and appropropriate for all ages! This collection is beautifully. I love use of the creamy neutrals and the subtle jewel embellishments and Lacey tweed. The ethereal and demure makes up of course, was flawless and enhanced the clothing. Well done, as usual.

The Undecided....?
Initially when I saw Chloe's line, I was a bit well, depressed. As one of my favorite lines, I always expect to see the same flowly, modest fabrics and fits, soft, sexy neurtal tones with a couple of unexpected shades toward the end and overall, an effortlessly chic and cool line that a lady can just throw on , walk out the door, and look fresh, natural, and put together without looking as though she spent hours perfecting her look. Well, I hated the sort of bag lady look that I feel that Chloe usually tends to avoid. It literally looked as though some of the models were drowning in their outfits. Then, however, I saw the all denim out fit. I cringed at first, bracing myself for what I was about to see, and then unexpectedly fell in love with this one look. As the show went on, I loved the collection more and more. Toward the end, there were beautifully crafted, Greek like, flowy dresses and less of that army-obsessed grandfather look. The hair was flat and dull, and not even in a cool, chic way. It was just straight up boring and gross looking. The makeup was minimal which was nice and expected from Chloe. So i don't really know about this one...you be the judge!

THE ABSOLUTE BEST-
Gile Deacon...I know I posted something about him and this collection yesterday but, I have to say that I have absolutely fallen in love with this British designer. After falling for him, I did some research and for last year's fashion week, he had a pac man themed show where the models actually wore pink helmets! It was so rad. Anyway, this collection was absolutely breathtaking. It was fresh, spunky, almost futuristic, with a sexy, cool, rocker girl vibe to boot! The main color palette was killer. Lots of neutrals beautifully interrupted by shocking corals, sea foam greens, lilacs, and the sexiest of all the black! The hair was awesome too...the models all had greasy looking "sex hair," if you will and some even rocked light pink and purple highlights...so unexpectedly sexy! The shaped of the clothes were very sexy and body conscious. Some were very fitted and clingy, others were lose with a short and sweet hemline. The use of gold tones was also perfectly used! Awesome, awesome line. ONe of my favorite designers now!


Other honorable mentions:
Marc by Marc Jacobs- sexy, cute, and Disney like! Definitely hip cool and chic.
Erin Wasson x RVCA- retro 90s grunge meets sexy modern new yorker! love love love.



On a different note...I have disocovered a new poet that I really love. James Tate. He is known for his surreal, dream like poems that usually display some kind of dark theme through telling a stange anectdote and usually using dialogue. I came across this simple yet beautifully haunting poem last night while reading for my creative writing course. It's called, "Why I will not get out of bed." I really connected with this poem because of my current depression after a failed relationship. The desperation and emtotional paralysis that he describes really speaks to me because I know how this emotional paralysis can actually turn into physical paralysis. I also love the sense of denial. We have all been there. Anway, here it is...

Why I Will Not Get Out of Bed

My muscles unravel
like spools of ribbon:
there is not a shadow

of pain. I will pose
like this for the rest
of the afternoon,

for the remainder
of all noons. The rain
is making a valley

of my dim features.
I am Albania,
I am on the Rhine.

It is autumn,
I smell the rain,
I see children running

through columbine.
I am honey
I am several winds.

My nerves dissolve,
my limbs wither-
I don't love you.

I don't love you.

~James Tate


PS I will do a post on some of fashion weeks hottest parties next so stay tuned!