Popular Post

Love is like a cigarette.



...So as an update on my post last week about this new project I am doing, Zines, today in school, I figured out my theme, layout, content, etc, which I am really excited about! The theme is, of course, love. I think I am going to title it after Joy Division's song, "Love Will Tear Us Apart."
The first page is going to be a word collage of words that I think relate to love. So far, most of the words I have selected have been negative like Trouble, Warning, Heartbreak, etc. I am also going to include quotes from my friends on their descriptions of what love is, quotes from songs about love, favorite poems of mine, poems of my own that I have written, old love notes and photos collected from myself, friends, celebrities, etc. Also, each of the page is going to have a theme based on the color of the page. The colors I am using are black, pink, red, and blue.
One of the pages is going to be called "love is like a cigarette." I wrote a rough draft of a poem that I may feature...

What starts with a sweet and subtly falovred
marlboro light
breathing in its heavenly sensual aroma
while thinking that you with someone else
could never be right.

Sucking in every magical momemt, deeply
never wanting this abyss of sensuality
to ever fade away with the camel's
sensual trail of smoke
Only suddenly lose all feeling
and desperately
slowly
begin to choke.

Trying to exhale the thoughts of him
-to wipe away the tears laden in memories
blowing him out out of mind, though withoutout him
you cannot be whole; just a 50% part
you cannot simply put out every burning
moment of cancerous lust
which has has so deeply, infected your heart
as you watch the still fiery, flicked ashes
fade into stale and meaningly dust.
~Mia Maguire


Another Idea I had for this smoking section is re-writing the Surgeon General's warning posted on the side of cigarette packs, to make it applicable to love. Here is a really rough idea...

Surgeon General's Warning:
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer,
Heart Disease, Emphysema, And
may complicate pregnancy

Translation:

Surgeon General's Warning:
Love causes mind cancer
Heart Disease, severe and pathetic pleads
(offering no relief)
And may cause pregnancy.

Haha...I like the last line, I must say!


Some songs quotes that I am going to feature

My Heart is an Apple-The Arcade Fire
"I'll admit I'm full of shit,
that's how I know i love you."
(really simple and vague but its very true.)


Love Itself-Leonard Cohen
"In streams of light I clearly saw
The dust you seldom see,
Out of which the Nameless makes,
A name for one like me.
I'll try to say a little more
Love went on and on
Until it reached an open door-
Then Love itself
Love itself was gone."
(I like how he capittilized Love, making it more intimate, as thought it is wrriten about a specific person).

Satellite of Love-Lou Reed
"Satellites gone up to the skies
Thing like that drive me out of my mind
I watched it for a little while
I like to watch things on TV
Satellite of love."


Sweet Jane-The Velvet Underground
"Everyone who had a heart...
wouldn't turn around and break it."


Happiness-Elliott Smith
"What I used to be will pass away and then you'll see
that all I want now is happiness for you and me."
(I like this because its he's telling whoever she is that
when he's gone she is going to regret not seeing him
for who he really was.)

Lua-Bright Eyes
"I know you have a heavy heart
I can feel it when we kiss
so many men stronger than me
Have thrown their backs out trying to lift
but me I'm not a gamble
you can count on me to split
The love I sell you in the evening
by the morning won't exist"


So anyway, that is kind of an idea of the concept i'm going for...
Also, today I read this poem by a student in my teacher's former creative writing class which I found really creative and inspiring. I don't have it with me, so I cannot write it in here but,
it was a love poem composed of all song titles yet, it also flowed on its own as her love story. It was awesome!


I am reading this lovely book of collected poetry edited by Oscar Williams that I found in my mother's book case. The book itself is so vintage that I cannot even read its title. Anyway, here is an awesome poem that I found in the love section, kind of dealing with loss of love.

Music I Heard

Music I heard with you was more than music,
And bread I broke with you was more than bread;
Now that I am without you, all is desolate;
All that was once so beautiful is dead.

Your hands once touched this table and this silver,
And I have seen your fingers hold this glass.
These things do not remember you, beloved,
And yet your touch upon them will not pass.

For it was my heart you moved among them,
And blessed them with your hands and with your eyes;
And in my heart they will remember always,-
They knew you once, O beautiful and wise.
- Conrad Aiken

I love this poem because I can totally relate to looking at simple objects or being in my car when missing someone and thinking god, they were here, in this car, with me, just a month ago and now they are gone but yet, they aren't becauuse I still feel them there. They made their mark. And I also like how the objects also dually, symbolize him as well.

P.S. I thought my photo at the top of the post was kind of fitting for my zine since thus far, it tends to lack any kind of ambition for finding the truth in love!