Popular Post

Natural Hair isn't for Everybody

This blog is written in response to Kis for Kinky's article "Natural hair isn't for errbody!"



K Says:



I want to say this: There are some people that make natural hair “look bad”. I’ve seen some women who don’t take care of their hair properly, don’t use the right product and this results in some hot-mess styles that make me say to myself, damn that doesn’t look good on her. But I’m sure if her hair had the right styling and shape, it would drastically change my opinion. So in other words I’m saying, natural hair can be beautiful, just take care of yo “isshhh”.









Back in the days before my scalp knew the tingling/burning sensation of a perm I simply thought 'natural' hair was just the norm, this was until I got older and began to realize that my classmates were perming their hair and not sitting in front of the stove getting pressed like me at home. I know some women think that wearing their hair in it's natural state doesn't suit them quite and they would prefer to embrace the aesthetic appeal of a straight look by way of perm, wig or weave. The catch 22 of that notion is your natural state of hair is how you are 'supposed' to look right? Isn't that how God intended you to be? So how is it that it doesn't suit you? Could it be that  you have programmed your mindset to believe that straighter is better than kinky, curly or coily?







After attending my first natural hair soiree yesterday at the Jane Carter Hair Dish I began to embrace my natural tresses that much more with being surrounded by so many natural heads. We all had different curl patterns, waves, coils, kinks and sported an array of hairstyles. I learned so much after listening to Q & A session about how to take proper care of my hair. Just recently after achieving my 1 year lye free anniversary this past March, I started to become frustrated with my hair. I'm still very much in transition and honestly I can't wait to cut off these permed ends. If it wasn't for my wedding and wanting to sport my own hair in a straight look they would have BEEN gone. I think after this coming December rolls around I will be closer to a desirable length for my big chop. But then again, who knows I may change my mind and just ride this thing on out.





So have you ever felt that way before? Have you ever thought natural hair wouldn't look good on you or that your type of curl pattern was too kinky, curly or coily to maintain a nice look? How did you overcome that mindset and learn to embrace your true self?