Popular Post

rainy day delays

greetings...sorry for my lack of posts. It has actually been raining in San Diego! It is a lovely change I must say however...I have been deathly ill and kind of unable to enjoy it
Here are some random items I have found in my countless hours of internet browsing sick days...

new art/photography I have found recently...

Sue Barlett
yum?



Nick Cave


Paul Wunderlich




Esra Rosie
(second illustration is model Lara Stone :) ) awesomeee!



My favorite new artist...Mia Overgaard (no, not just because she has the same name as me haha!)
her work is awesome, she does a lot of fashion illustrations for magazines like Nylon, Seventeen, Glamour, etc. But, I really love her "personal" work section. It is much more surreal and a bit darker as well. Check our her website it's really beautiful




(her work is just so...dreamy and kind of entrancing)



Photographer/artist Taschka Turnquist.
I had the pleasure of meeting this young photographer while shopping the other day. Not only is she very sweet and bubbly but, she is very talented as well. She and I may be shooting some editorial work soon so hopefully that will work out


Top Albums of the year....?
Now that 2009 is almost over (what the fuck?!!!) time fliesss! But anyway, I have been checking out urban outfitters list of favorite albums of 2009. Great choices, for the most part. They cited Girls album (titled Album) as the number one pick. Others included Animal Collective's Meriweather Post Pavilion and Dirty Projector's Bittle Orca. Viewing their list, I discovered The Pains of Being Pure At Heart. I had heard of the band before but never really thoroughly listened to their music.



Playlist of the week:
Lykke Li-possibility
Animal Collective-winter wonderland
Grizzly Bear-slow life
Bob Dylan-don't think twice, it's alright
Yo La Tengo-black flowers
Girls-lust for life
Cat Power-I found a reason
The Velvet Underground-I'll be your mirror
Nada Surf-blonde on blonde
Cass McCombs-that's that


Not only is it almost the end of 2009 but, it's also almost the end of an entire decade, which is even more frightening. I checked Rolling Stone's list of the top ten albums of the decade and though many people no longer associate this magazine with legitimately good music of any kind, this list was really, really, good with really well written summaries and what not. Worth reading for sure.
paste.com...

1. Sufjan Stevens-Illinois (2005)
2. Wilco-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (2002)
3. Arcade Fire-Funeral(2004)
4. Radiohead- Kid A  (2000)
5. Bright Eyes- I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning (2005)
6. The White Stripes- Elephant (2003)
7. Gillian Welch-Time (2001)
8. Outkast-Stankonia (2001)
9. The Avett Brothers- I and Love and You (2009)
10. MIA-Arular (2005)

I think this is a pretty epic list and I have to agree with the choices. Of course, my ordering may be a bit different (bright eyes as number one instead?) haha. Illoniose however, is such a beautiful album...my favorite tracks are "Concerning the UFO sighting...," "Casimir Paluski Day," (such a beautiful, touching, and hearfelt song about his loss), and of course the mega hit, "Chicago." I am also glad that they featured Outkast's Stankonia. I always forget how rad they were. I still listen to their old school beats like Ms. Jackson and so fresh so clean! I love how they encorporate rap/hip hop with kind of blusy, tehcno, and even poppy elements. Of course, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning will forever be one of my favorite albums of all time. I love Connor Oberst's desperate tones and poetic lyrics. "Lua," is probably my favorite song of all time as well. And Funeral by Arcade Fire couldn't not be on the list. Another one of my favorite albums of all time.



I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Bright Eyes