Popular Post

It's MY HAIR!



Yesterday after reading about Steve Harvey's rude natural hair comment on Afrobella's facebook post I decided to dialogue with Jason on the topic of men's thoughts on women with natural hair. Now he has made it clearly known to me that he does not think women, including myself especially, should wear any fake hair. That encompasses weaves, wigs and braids. I get it, you are not attracted to it OK, it's your perrogative. Now I must admit I used to scoff my face up at women who wore big weaves and wigs galore. I think it is mostly because I have always had a head full of hair and never 'had' to wear anyone else's. Plus sometimes I felt like it was a way for women to pretend to be like someone else. I'm more a fan of being yourself, don't try to look like Beyonce , create your own sense of identity; however just two years ago after working with a girl who was ALL about the celebrity look (false hair, nails, toenails, moles, lashes, buttpads) I grew interested in trying on a wig. I purchased one that was black, long and curly and at first I only wore it to do a photoshoot pictured below.


I love my eyebrows in this picture! If only I can remember who was doing them then lol


Then I wore it a few times at work when I did not feel like doing my own hair. The  mere thought of me wearing a curly wig made her SUPER livid. I mean I couldn't believe that she was acting so bitchy about it. lol She claimed that my wig looked like one she was wearing and that I was copying her style. I asked another coworker if we looked like the bopsy twins and she laughed stating no so I dropped the issue but she clearly was bent out of shape about it. I can laugh about it now but I was quite peeved and appauled at how she conducted herself storming past my desk in a huff and talking about me to anyone that was willing to listen smh. She's a bird but I digress back to what I was saying! Placing the wig on my head felt unnatural and even after trying on many it still felt like this wasn't something for me. I did find one in a short cut that I wore a few times after doing another photoshoot pictured below. Now it just sits on a shelf in my closet.




I learned that I'm still not a wig kind of gal. I prefer my hair over anyone elses but they are fun to sport on occassion which for me would be a super duper bad hair day or for a photoshoot.



Now back to Jason's thoughts. I proposed that I get braids for our upcoming vacay in Mexico so I can protect my hair and skip on twisting etc every night. He responded, "You know I don't like that stuff but ehhh it's your hair just know I'm going to be looking at you crazy until you take it out." WHY O WHY do men feel as though they have the RIGHT to tell us women how to wear our hair? I mean I know men are visual creatures and all but do we tell them how to wear theirs? NO I know I don't! I did tell my ex that I prefered when he wore his hair shaved low as opposed to the 'waves' so many guys crave. He just looked more handsome to me but in no way did I demand that he wear it to my liking. Do what you want. It's your hair right? I just don't get it!



After we talked about Steve Harvey's comment to a listener stating because she has natural hair she is going to lose her man, we agreed he's just full of shit.  He then stated something ignorant like, "Well I don't want your hair natural!" WHOA buddy what the heck do you think it is now? I know I'm still in transition but that's the point. I'm on the road to being fully natural. I just don't understand. I'm so glad that I am stern in my decisions and his opinions are merely that, an opinion, which he is more than allowed to have and state. Just know that it will be dismissed if it goes against what I want for myself. Afterall, It's MY HAIR! ;0)