Popular Post

The Perfect Proposal





Are you the type of woman that has been dreaming of marriage ever since those days of playing teaparty with your dolls? I don't know very many women who are and I certainly never thought about myself actually getting married until a few years ago. The last relationship I was in skirted around the issue and I had to talk in third person just to calm his nerves whenever the topic surfaced. Needless to say he is not my future husband. Now although I never dreamt of the perfect wedding, I have often fantasized about the perfect proposal because well afterall I am a hopeless romantic.


I can only imagine the gitters a man must feel in having to plan the perfect proposal. First he has to pick a great ring to symbolize their union. Then he has to pick the date and lastly the location of where it will all unfold. This will be an everlasting memory shared between him and his hopeful bride to be so I would think that every man would take the utmost care in planning such a special occassion. I have a romantic picture hanging up in my home of a couple kissing with the man holding an umbrella over them, her hair and skirt are flying in the wind as they stand infront of the Eiffel Tower. Ahhhhh how romantic! I always wanted to be whisked away to Paris and proposed to at some romantic spot or how about channeling the waters of Venice while listening to the soft ballots of the violin playing behind you. That would have been pretty cool too; however that wasn't my reality.


My honey and I had talked about marriage pretty much from the start. I let him know upfront that after wasting my time with the last guy that I was not dating for sport. We mutually agreed not to waste each others time and I believed him. So after about two years of dating, trials, tribulations and some epiphany's lol he surprised me one sunny afternoon with a trip to the jewelry store. I thought we were going to the local Barnes and Nobles when we pulled into the parking lot because I did not see the jewelry store on the other side. I was so stoked and my heart started to race. Yay I thought to myself we are going RING SHOPPING ;0) So after walking through the store and peering into all the cabinets I figured out that what I thought I wanted wasn't really all that flattering on my hand.  We ended up going to look at one other store near our home and that is where I found my ring. It was absolutely beautiful! I fell in love with it as soon as I put it on. Of course the salesmen tried to get us to purchase on the spot but we managed to escape their grasps as we were just browsing.


After the big introduction to the world of diamonds I spent countless hours online looking at engagement rings. A few months went by and no proposal so I started to get worried. Jason had already moved in with me and I was beginning to think that was a bad idea. I've always heard of women and men shacking up with no proposal in sight. Truly I hoped this wouldn't be the case for me. We started hanging out for drinks on Friday's afterwork at the local Cheesecake Factory near our home. I always ordered an Apple Martini and he would get calamari, his favorite. One Friday while on the way home he suggested we stop by there for drinks. I waited in the sweltering heat for him to arrive since I get off earlier than he does. He finally came waltzing up to my car and knocked on the door to let him in but by this time I was more than ready to get OUT! So he sits down and I'm looking at him like What? let's go! He starts mumbling something to himself and I hear 'but this is the mall parkinglot' and I say yeh I know let's go. Then he leans back in the seat and pulls out a black velvet ringbox and my heart sank. I was totally not expecting it now, today and certainly not here! I'm thinking what about my perfect outfit, and my perfect hair, my makeup??? whatever ok ok.... He looks around with a nervous smile and says I know we've been talking about this for awhile now so I want to know 'Will you Marry me?' He looked so scared and nervous and I'm like are you sure? lol He says yes and so do I then he slips the ring on my hand. We hug and kiss then I say ok it's hot let's go lol


As we walked to the restaurant he says, "You didn't cry or anything I was thinking you would react differently!" I was thinking I didn't expect it to happen in the parkinglot! At first I must admit I was a bit disappointed that he didn't plan something more romantic. After sitting down for drinks the waiter comes over and then all of a sudden a burst of tears comes rolling down my cheeks. lol I guess I have a delayed reaction.


The moral of the story is although I didn't get what I perceived as the 'perfect proposal' I got a proposal indeed and a partner for life. We have the rest of our lives together to make many more romantic memories.