Popular Post

What's Eating YOU?

 

 

 

For some women overeating means binging and for others it means consuming more or other than planned. Most people are overeating for a hundred different reasons. We are eating due to stress, irritation and frustration. It may be worry or overwork. We eat because our stomach feels ‘blah’. We are eating out of habit and with no real direction or thoughts about what we are doing with our face in the fridge. We eat to suppress negative thoughts or past occurrences as a way of coping with guilt.

When I hear of someone who is bulimic or anorexic I always know that deep down inside their brain, not their tummy, there is some issue eating them. In order to get rid of this physical coping mechanism that they've created they need to rid themselves of the emotional connection to the food. Often times it has nothing to do with food, the liking of food or loving to eat but more like this may be a learned behavior from a parent, coping with childhood related trauma like molestation, sodomy or rape or even bullying and low self worth. 



Once I have completed my certification courses in coaching I plan to target women in the areas of health & wellness for their relationship with their bodies and in turn themselves as well as others. I'm so excited to embark on this journey. Just yesterday I spoke with a mentor who guided me on my first steps to reach this goal. I look forward to helping women become their best selves.















If you are struggling with extreme weight gain & or loss try this exercise to figure out what is truly eating you.


Self-Reflection Questions:


1. Do I try to understand the factors that may be causing a conflict in my world, what is causing me to eat? If not keep a small notepad with you and every time you feel the need to binge or purge food write down your feelings, what stresses are weighing you down, any dreams or nightmares you recently had as these may be triggers to what's eating you. 


2. Do I take time to consider the impact of my words before I speak them?
Remember that old nursery rhyme 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" If that isn't the biggest crock of ish I don't know what is. Words DO hurt us whether they are spoken from our own mouths or others they can pierce our souls just like a knife. In order to resolve your issue you need to practice the art of positive thinking. If you have an eating disorder do NOT give it power with words. Don't say 'Oh I have an eating disorder so that's why I'm fat!' That is called a self defeating attitude and you won't get far beating yourself up about your issue. Instead say "I am working diligently towards achieving my goal and I can already see my progress, I will make it!" 


3. Which is more important to me; my need to gratify myself with food or my need to get better? You have to choose one or the other. Yes food is great and self fulfilling and you can enjoy it but in moderation, everything in life has to be in moderation even the consumption of water. 




My two cents: 
If you are struggling with a food issue the best thing you can do for yourself is steer clear of danger, meaning don't feel obligated to attend functions involving food when you know you won't be able to resist. Sure your friends may be fine eating out all the time but if you can't, don't. Be good to yourself first and your real friends will understand and encourage you to be strong. ☺






If most of your relationships revolve around unhealthy lifestyles its time to make some changes. This goes for your family and house mates too. If you live in a house with people that encourage your overeating perhaps you may want to start looking for your own place. This way you can set the precedence of how you wish to live a happier and healthier life without the influences of others.