Popular Post

My Tresses

Growing up I wasn't allowed to get a perm. My mother was against them because of their strong chemicals so she had a lady teach her how to braid and press my hair. I didn't mind the old school hot comb on the stove technique so much even when she'd be on the phone laughing hysterically with that hot a$$ comb looming closely over my head lol 0-o smh 













Once the trend of getting braids in elementary school became all the rage I begged my mother for some Janet Jackson box braids and of course she said ummmm NO. I even wrote her a letter explaining why I should have them lol Eventually she broke down and let me get braids when I was like in 6th grade or something. I remember the excruciating pain I was in with my hair pulled so tight I would squeeze water on my scalp with a cold wash cloth. I couldn't sleep that first night and I remember thinking why in the world I wanted to look like Janet Jackson so bad. 





I became a DIY diva with doing my own hair after having enough of being burned on the ear or forehead by my mom with that hot comb. I would spend countless hours in my bathroom perfecting my press and this is when my hair was it's longest and fullest. Ahhhh the good ole days of high school. I used a plastic grocery bag with egg and mayo as my deep conditioning treatment. I didn't know anything about uber expensive products back then that were purported to make your hair grow down your back like vines.  Back then I hardly ever combed my hair. I would opt for a bun all day any day or the infamous side ponytail lol I thought I was cute wearing my pony to the side as it cascaded down from my head to my shoulders. owwwwww lol I even taught myself how to braid on my dolls and playing in my sisters hair. I got to be good and started doing cornrows for the guys on my block. Then in college I used to braid hair for my spending money ;0) I can't believe I was doing micros for less thank $100  but it was the love of the art and because I wanted my friends hair to look nice. After all, we were broke college students.





I ventured to Clark Atlanta with my hot comb and trusty ceramic oven in hand. I used this to press my hair every week until my oven was confiscated during one of the stupid dorm raids smh While out of sight from my mom I decided to dye my hair Chestnut Brown one Spring day in Bumstead. I bought some Dark & Lovely and went to work in my room. I remember staining my Olive branch t-shirt too lol It worked well as my hair was still all natural but then I decided to get a perm at the age of 19 and that is when the trouble began. My hair fell out by the handfuls in the sink at the hands of what I now consider to be a girl without a license to style. I used Aphoghee to get my hair back on course and then eventually cut it off in the pixie Halle Berry style Sophmore year. I wore that short cut for awhile and then let it grow out, that in-between stage was a beast, let me tell ya. You don't have any idea of how to wear it and I tired easily of the flip up look. I was super happy when it finally grew down into a bob.























After college I started going to a stylist called "Fresh Perm" on North Ave when I lived in Centennial Place lol Yes that was his name and he only had one eye too. I should have known better because that fool turned my hair green once with a perm's bad chemical reaction to my dye color. A girl in the waiting area told me it was green and I quickly had him correct it smh Shortly thereafter I dyed my hair back to black and just grew out the perm. I would go for years with no perm and then get the itch and slap some on my new growth to only hate that I did it. The last time a perm touched my scalp was in March of 2010. I was doing my hair at home and for some reason my frustration overwhelmed me with trying to blend my new growth with my permed ends so I went to the Dominicans and asked for the crack. I was so disappointed with myself afterwards. I had all types of scabs and burns AND the perm didn't even take because I had her wash it out only after a few minutes. I have VERY sensitive skin on my scalp and entire body so that crack just doesn't work for me. My hair broke and shed like crazy and I vowed to NEVER NEVER NEVER put myself nor my hair through that again.













Honestly I like my natural curl pattern. I am getting back the woman I was before I knew what perms felt like the first 19 years of my life. I've been natural for over half my life so this transition is just getting reacquainted with my old routine. For me it's not a trend like some women tend to believe. I've BEEN doing this ;0)













My hair routine has changed because I am older and wiser now about products, heat protection, natural essential oils and how to properly care for my hair. I do believe my hair in its healthiest state can be attributed to low manipulation and those old school egg and mayo treatments. My current length is arm pit and my wedding goal is bra strap. My ultimate goal is waist length and I believe if I wear my hair natural moreso than straightened, continue to moisturize and balance it with protein I will retain my length and achieve the desired results. I don't believe in the myths that Black women's hair can't grow long or that you are only destined to have a certain length of hair. Hair grows at the same rate on every one's head. The speed of hair growth is roughly 1.25 centimeters or 0.5 inches per month, being about 15 centimeters or 6 inches per year. With age the speed of hairgrowth might slow down to as little as 0.25 cm or 0.1 inch a month. If you do not properly moisturize your hair of course it will break off and seem as if your hair does not grow. Just like with your skin, your hair needs a specific regimen geared towards your type, age and with time changes in hormone levels





Hair Growth Facts